February 11, 2013

FOOD: TURKEY BOLOGNESE


When I stopped eating red meat back in 2011 I knew that as a mum of three, i was going to need some sort of spag bol substitute at some stage. I gave soya mince (in a few different recipes) a whirl but if i'm brutally honest it was never that great. I needed, or rather my kiddos demanded, a spaghetti bolognese that tasted like spaghetti bolognese (tsk, the cheek of it) and thankfully the one I found in my trusty bashed up old copy of Leon Book Two did just that! Boom!
This spag bol is perfect, it's much MUCH lower in fat than the traditional beef version, it's super rich and there are never any leftovers when I serve it up. It also freezes well, and it's a recipe every meat eating mama needs. I promise you that you that if you love spag bol, you will love this. It's simple, honest family grub at its best...



For six you will need:
Recipe adapted from Leon Book Two

- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped / minced
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 500-600g turkey mince
- 1 good pinch chilli flakes
- 2 x 400g tins chopped toms
- 2 tbsp tom puree
- 325ml cheapo red wine
- 500ml chicken stock
- dash Worcestershire sauce
- large sprig fresh thyme
- salt & pepper


And you will need to do this:

1.Gather and prep whilst spending far too long taking a photo of  your fresh ingredients.


2. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions & garlic & cook until they are starting to brown.
3. Add the turkey mince & brown all over, stirring thoroughly to make sure it's cooked throughout and then sprinkle in the chilli flakes, season & cook for a few minutes.
4. Add the chopped toms, tom purree, wine, stock, worcestershire sauce and thyme.
5. Simmer gently on the hob with the lid on for a good 2 hours and a half, try to not let it boil*
It's going to look a little 'soupy' at this stage, but it's going to reduce right down, i promise!


6. After about an hour, check for seasoning and keep on simmering. Look- it's getting thicker already ;)


7. The end result sauce should be a thick sauce, rich in colour & deep in flavour! Sprinkle with some basil if you fancy or grate over your body weight in parmesan like some people i know... (Dexter, I am talking to YOU!)


8. Serve with cooked spaghetti & enjoy (& er, check out my shiny spoons! I did that just for you.)

*after the initial simmering on the hob, you can transfer into an ovenproof dish & cook in a low oven for about an hour at around 150c / 300f / GM2

Footnote: I realised this post took me ages to do, and I wondered why. Then I figured out it's because half way through i got bored and did this instead...



No comments:

Post a Comment