September 12, 2012

FOOD: BLACK BEAN AND MANGO QUINOA


Sometimes in life you need to just get over stuff.
Sometimes, it doesn't matter if you gain 4lbs over the summer.
Sometimes, you need to accept that your worn out uggs are not doing their job as footwear anymore.
You especially need to realise this if you slip over and fall smack bang on your ass THREE times in one morning (it's ok, nobody saw you, but seriously, three times?!)

Other times in life you need to embrace stuff.
Stuff like cookie butter. NO! FOOL! Actually not like cookie butter - i gained 4 pounds sneaking spoonfuls of this stuff. I'm warning you, if you ever get the chance, do not embrace cookie butter. 
No, you need to embrace stuff like the leaves that are turning yellow & falling from the trees or the fact that the nights are drawing in & you can call up your chimney sweep to get ready for that first fire of the season. You need to embrace the fun planning of Halloween and then bonfire night and then Christmas! Sorry, way too early to mention that word i know...

Then there are times in life when you just need to man up & both get over it and embrace it. Just like I just did with some corn.
Yes, I am rambling on like a crazy person about corn.
You see I have a funny thing about corn being used in salsas or salads. Don't ask me why because I have no idea. It's just one of those things & i to be honest I hadn't felt like it's something i ever needed to address because it's just corn, right? Er -Wrong! As a Mexican food addict  i totally needed to get over it & embrace that funny little yellow bit of oddness.

So I got brave.

And after i congratulated myself for buying a fresh cob of corn, I made this recipe which blew my socks off! I had it today for lunch in a tortilla with lashings of hot sauce & then tonight, i had it again after the mister told me he was going out for steak (!) but i served it with some grilled chicken. It's a flavour bomb waiting to go off & you need to try it.
Especially if you have a weird unjustified aversion to corn.

Go Make!



So, for a full on portion that serves 6 as a side, you will need:
(recipe slightly adapted from Skinny Taste here)

1 cup quinoa - rinsed & cooked according to packet instructions
1 400g tin black beans - drained & rinsed
1 cup fresh corn kernels
1 red bell pepper - chopped
1 red chilli pepper - de-seeded & chopped
1 cup fresh mango - chopped
1/4 cup red onion - finely chopped
1/2 cup coriander - leaves chopped
1 lime - juice only
1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic - minced
1/2 tsp - chilli powder
1/2 tsp - ground cumin
1/4 tsp - ground turmeric
Large pinch of sea salt

and you will need to do this..... it's pretty simple stuff!

1. Gather your ingredients
2. Cook your quinoa  & let it cooooool
3. Once cooled, mix it all up with the black beans, fresh corn, mango, red bell pepper, red chilli pepper, red onion & the coriander. 
3. In a seperate bowl or jam jar for ease, combine your lime juice, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, cumin, chilli powder, turmeric and sea salt.
4. Drizzle over the quinoa mixture & mix really well.
5. Store in the fridge until you're ready to eat...
6. This is how I devoured it...
Oh and did I tell you about Mr Tapatio? 
He's my new BFF. I just wish we could buy it here in the UK *sad face*

Have fun with your corn! x

No comments:

Post a Comment